Connect with us

Politics

US President, Donald Trump thinks violent games makes kids violent

Published

on

President Donald Trump raised concerns about the graphic depiction of violence in video games at a White House meeting Thursday with members of the industry and some of their most vocal critics.

Searching for ways to respond to last month’s Florida school shooting, Trump has questioned the impact of video games, although decades of research have failed to find a link between gun violence and graphic depictions of violence in games. Meeting attendees said he sought to hear from all sides.

“He asked a lot of questions and he raised concerns with the violent nature of these games and asked the question: Is this causing the kids to have (this) violent behavior?” said Rep. Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo.

Those attending the meeting from the video game industry included representatives of the Entertainment Software Association and the Entertainment Software Rating Board and two CEOs of video game publishers.

Also attending were a representative of the Parents Television Council, a conservative watchdog group, as well as conservative activist Brent Bozell — a longtime critic of video game violence who founded the council — and the author of a book linking mass killings to violent video games.

PTC program director Melissa Henson said she sought to convey the challenges of keeping violent games away from kids “even for the most diligent parent.”

She described the meeting as a listening session, saying there were no decisions about next steps.

“I don’t think there are easy answers and I don’t think that we’re going to be able to figure out the solution in the course of a one-hour conversation,” Henson said.

Industry representatives argued in advance of the meeting that there was no correlation between video games and gun violence.

The Entertainment Software Association released a statement saying studies “have found no connection between games and real-life violence” and noting that games are played in other countries that don’t have the same level of gun violence. They expressed hope that the meeting will “provide the opportunity to have a fact-based conversation about video game ratings … and the tools we provide to make informed entertainment choices.”

Trump has focused on video games as he seeks solutions to deal with the scourge of guns in the wake of the Florida school shooting that killed 17 people. After weeks of public deliberation — including expressing support for some gun control measures — Trump has not yet outlined what he would like to see in legislation.

Trump has invoked his son Barron as he speaks about video games. At a recent meeting on school violence, he said: “The video games, the movies, the internet stuff is so violent. It’s so incredible. I see it. I get to see things that you wouldn’t be, you’d be amazed at. I have a young, very young son, who, I look at some of the things he’s watching, and I say, how is that possible?”

During a Cabinet meeting Thursday, Trump congratulated Florida on school safety legislation approved by state lawmakers, saying the state “passed a lot of very good legislation last night.”

The measure would raise the minimum age to buy rifles from 18 to 21 and create a waiting period on weapons sales. It also would create a so-called guardian program, enabling school employees and many teachers to carry handguns if they go through law enforcement training and their school districts agree to participate. Republican Gov. Rick Scott has not said if he will sign the bill.

Trump also said the White House is working to ban “bump stocks” and said efforts to enhance background checks are “moving along well” in Congress. No votes have been scheduled yet in the Senate on a pending background checks bill, but the House has said it will consider school safety legislation next week.

This is not the first time Washington has focused on video game violence.

In 2013, after the shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, Vice President Joe Biden held three days of wide-ranging talks on gun violence prevention, including a meeting with video game industry executives. After the 2013 meetings wrapped up, the White House called for research on the effect of media and video games on gun violence, but nothing substantial came out of that.

While Trump has suggested rating both games and movies for violence, ratings already exist.

Following an outcry over violent games such as 1992’s “Mortal Kombat,” the Entertainment Software Ratings Board was established in 1994 by the Entertainment Software Association to give each game a rating based on five categories ranging from “E” for “Everyone” to “Adults Only” for those 18 and older.

In 2011, the Supreme Court rejected a California law banning the sale of violent video games to children. The decision claimed that video games, like other media, are protected by the First Amendment.

Dear Whitehouse, in all you do, don’t let Trump ban video games, Please.

 

Culled from Associated press

Politics

Gov. El-Rufai reacts to reports that he was involved in a “ghastly accident”

Published

on

By

Body Bags Comment - Governor El-Rufai versus European Union

Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El Rufai has debunked online reports that he was involved in a “ghastly accident” and his driver dead.

Rumours of the Gorvenor El-Rufai’s supposed involvement in an accident began to spread on Thursday after a Twitter user wrote: “El-rufai in a ghastly accident, his driver said to have died on the spot. No one knows the condition of the Kaduna Governor. Please pray for him no matter the differences we have politically.

Below is a screenshot of a similar fake news.

Gov. El-Rufai reacts to reports that he was involved in a "ghastly accident"

El Rufai in his response debunked the report saying, “I woke up after a rare 8-hour bout of deep sleep to learn that some bigotry-driven, PDP-affiliated fake news platform has declared my driver dead and my humble self in coma. Both claims are false”.

Governor Nasir El-rufai contesting for the second governorship tenure in Kaduna state, won the state’s governorship elections under the APC political party.

Concerning the fake news, he went on to say, “I thank them for reducing the days in their lives and adding them to mine. I remain their permanent nightmare and not about to disappear from their wretched and corrupt lives any time soon by the Grace of Almighty Allah, until they are permanently retired and buried”.

Continue Reading

Politics

Atiku Abubakar reacts to postponed 2019 general election

Published

on

By

PDP presidential candidate for 2019 general election, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar has made comments to the shifting of general election which was supposed to hold today.

We like to recap that INEC shifted the General Election to 23rd February while gubernatorial elections hold on 9th March.

Atiku Abubakar via his social media handle dropped his thoughts on the postponed general election. He attributed the postponement as fraud, when he likened it to “the case of the hand of Esau but the voice of Jacob”.

Atiku Abubakar reacts to postponed 2019 general election

Atiku Abubakar writes.

Dear citizens of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,

As you know, the Independent National Electoral Commission has announced a postponement of the elections until 23 February and 9 March respectively. The Buhari administration has had more than enough time and money to prepare for these elections and the Nigerian people were poised and ready to perform their civic responsibility by voting in the elections earlier scheduled for Saturday, 16 February, 2019. This postponement is obviously a case of the hand of Esau but the voice of Jacob. By instigating this postponement, the Buhari administration hopes to disenfranchise the Nigerian electorate in order to ensure that turn out is low on the rescheduled date. Nigerians must frustrate their plans by coming out in even greater numbers on Saturday, 23 February and Saturday, 9 March respectively. Knowing that the Nigerian people are determined to reject them, they are desperate and will do anything in their power to avoid their rejection by the Nigerian people. Their plan is to provoke the public, hoping for a negative reaction, and then use that as an excuse for further anti-democratic acts. As such, I call on all Nigerians to be patient. We have tolerated the maladministration of this government for four years. We can extend our tolerance a few more days and give them our verdict via our votes. Maintain the peace and be law abiding. Do not react to this provocation with anger, violence or any action that might be exploited by those who do not want this election to hold.
Remain calm. We will overcome this. You can postpone an election, but you cannot postpone destiny.

Please come out to vote on Saturday, 23 February and Saturday, 9 March respectively. Frustrate those who do not want this election to hold by coming out in very large numbers. That is the best antidote to their plans. May God bless you and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending