Connect with us

News

The meaning of the giant baby picture peering over the wall that divides Mexico from USA

Published

on

The large photo of a giant toddler stands in Mexico and peers over a wall dividing the country from the United States. The child appeared on the wall after Trump said he would end DACA which has allowed young immigrants who were brought to the US without documents as children to remain in the country.
The smiling boy appears to grip the barrier with his fingers while looking over it. The cut-out of the boy stands nearly 65 feet (20 metres) tall and was erected by a French artist who goes by the name JR. It is meant to prompt discussion of immigration.
On Friday, a steady stream of people drove to the remote section of the wall near the Tecate border crossing about 40 miles (64km) south-east of San Diego. Border Patrol agents warned visitors to keep the dirt road clear for their patrols and not pass anything through the fence.
Elmond Davantes, a software developer from Carlsbad, California, took photos from the US side of the wall.
“It’s larger than life,” he said. “It just draws attention to the whole issue in a positive way.”
On the Mexican side, families scrambled down a scrubby hillside to take selfies with the artwork. Children in school uniforms played tag under the scaffolding supporting the photo. People on each side of the wall waved to each other. Salma Montoya, 18, a student in Tecate said her town is abuzz about it.
“It’s beautiful,” Salma said.
JR has done other large-scale portraits around the world, with much of his recent work focused on immigrants. He told reporters at Wednesday’s unveiling of the portrait that he was spurred by a dream in which he imagined a toddler looking over the border wall.
“And when I woke up, I wondered: ‘What was he thinking?'” he said. “Like for us we know all the implications, what it represents, how it divides, but for a kid, I didn’t have the answer.”
A year later when JR was scouting for the perfect spot for his project, he noticed a house in Tecate near the border wall. He and a Mexican friend knocked on the door to see about the possibility of locating it around there. After they drove away, it occurred to him that the 1-year-old at the home who had been staring at them reminded him of the boy he had dreamed about.
JR and his friend immediately went back. JR asked the woman if he could photograph her son. She knew his work and agreed. JR said he did not intend for the project in Tecate to coincide with the news about Trump ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA.
This will not be the first time a piece of art is being placed on the wall. Artists and activists have often used the 650 miles of existing wall and fencing between the US and Mexico as a blank canvas. Musicians have played simultaneously on both sides. A giant wooden Trojan-style horse was once parked near a crossing in Tijuana. There have been volleyball games and church services held simultaneously on each side of the border. Sections of wall on the Mexican side have been covered with paintings of everything from butterflies to an upside-down American flag.
JR has erected other large-scale portraits in the slums of Paris, from the top of buildings in Rio de Janeiro, and set up giant photo booths from Israel and Palestine to the United States. His latest piece on the US-Mexico border wall will remain in Tecate for a month. JR hopes people will view it from each side.

News

Lagos Big Boys who raped and filmed their victim not released

Published

on

By

Lagos Big Boys who raped and filmed their victim not released

The Nigerian Police have not released the two Lagos Big Boys who filmed and raped their victim in a hotel in Lekki, according to the force’s PRO – Dolapo Badmus.

Catch up on the Lagos Big Boys news here.

Twitter users judged Nigerian female Blogger, Linda Ikeji for taking down the Lagos Big Boys rape news from her blog. Online reports which were not confirmed stated that the Nigerian Police have released the boys involved. However, Dolapo Badmus, Nigerian Police PRO clears the air by a statement which reads below.

Lagos Big Boys who raped and filmed their victim not released

The attention of the Nigeria Police Force Zone 2 Command covering Lagos and Ogun State has been drawn to the news going round that two suspects Don-Chima Enyinnaya George and Olusegun Rasak arrested in connection with a case of rape at Lekki area of Lagos has been released. On receipt of the report, the AIG in charge of Zone 2 , AIG Lawal Shehu ordered an immediate enquiries into the “report”! It was subsequently discovered that it’s a false allegation that is not only baseless but was purposely concocted by an unscrupulous element to smear the image of the police.
The two suspects who were alleged to have forcefully had carnal knowledge (sexual intercourse ) of a lady (name withheld) were arraigned before the special offences court of Lagos State (Family court 3) on 6th day of February 2019 on charges of Conspiracy, Sexual Assault and Rape, consequently they were reminded in prison till the next adjournment date..(facts can be cross checked with the court and Prison service)
The command hereby warn that mischief makers should desist from toying with sensitive issues especially that of this magnitude (RAPE) as it will not fold its hands to allow such occurrence. Investigation into this “fake report” is ongoing as person(s) behind it will be fished out for proper actions.

CSP DOLAPO BADMOS
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
ZONE 2, LAGOS.

Continue Reading

News

ASUU calls off three months strike – Breaking News

Published

on

By

Breaking - ASUU calls off three months strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities has finally called off their three months strike, academic activities resumes tomorrow at universities nationwide.

Channels TV reports that, ASUU’s National President, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi, announced the call off today, Thursday during a press briefing at the Nigeria Labour Congress complex in Abuja. The lecturers took the decision after meeting with representatives of the Federal Government led by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige. The call-off came hours after the meeting started.

Breaking - ASUU calls off three months strike

The meeting with FG had in attendance leaders of the union, government representatives such as the permanent secretaries at the ministries of Education, as well as ministries of Labour and Employment, and some directors from the said ministries.

Also a confirmation tweet came from the twitter handle which is believed to belong to the union. The tweet reads,

The union also warned via the same twitter handle that ASUU can swing into another strike “if government reneges on our memorandum of agreement”.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Customs intercept car full of Police uniform, teargas can

Published

on

By

Federal operating unit of Nigerian Customs have intercepted a Sienna car full of Police uniforms, tear gas cans and other police accessories in Lagos.

The intercept was made in Lagos road as the Sienna space bus carrying the goods was making its way out of Lagos.

Nigerian Customs intercept car full of Police uniform, teargas can

The shocking part is that the uniforms and tear gas was not claimed by the Nigerian Police. Making it an unofficial distribution of Nigerian Police uniform which will fall into the wrong hands for the wrong thing.

The Customs Area Controller, FOU, Muhammed Aliyu at the moment said one person had been arrested in connection with the seizure which would be the driver of the sienna. Aliyu said the uniforms were a threat to national security because they were not officially distributed and will get into the wrong hands.

“In addition to the uniforms and tear gas, ranks, belts, berets and police badges with identity cards were also intercepted by the unit. The items seized are a threat to national security because the uniform can be used for kidnapping, Boko Haram activities or during the elections,” Muhammed Aliyu said.

A free, peaceful and credible election is what every Nigerian is expecting during the forth coming election. Whose ever is making any plan to disturb the peace of Nigerians or rig the election should desist.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending