Authorities say 18-year-old Derrick Jones, a senior at Bonner-Prendergast High School in Upper Darby Township, tricked the victims into sending the photos and videos.
They allege Jones took an image of a real girl he called “Haley” off the internet. Then sent the victims racy photos and videos from pornographic sites using her name while encouraging the victims to send back their own nude images.
“They believed that they were receiving naked pictures of a teenage girl and so they were responding to Haley thinking that it was a teenage girl that was interested in them. Unfortunately, it was not,” Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said during a Thursday afternoon press conference.
Whelan says Jones threatened the victims that he would post and send the nude images to others if they didn’t keep up the sexually-explicit correspondence. In one case, the DA says Jones went through with his threat.
Authorities say Jones kept the thousands of photos and videos in files. 136 have names, but the last contained photos from victims whose names he’d apparently forgotten.
“We expect there are going to be many more victims in this particular case. The affidavit of probable cause only identifies five. We know there’s at least 136 separately named individuals. We also know that the forgotten names containers a myriad of other young boys that have been victimized,” Whelan said.
The five victims named in the criminal complaint filed Thursday are all local. About 60 others, mostly from Delaware County and Philadelphia, have also been identified and their parents sent letters.
Jones has been charged with dissemination of child porn, unlawful use of a computer, harassment, stalking and other crimes. Bail was set at $50,000.
Late Thursday afternoon, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia issued the following statement:
Earlier this afternoon at a news conference, the Delaware County District Attorney announced that Derrick Jones, age 18, was arrested today. He is charged with possession and dissemination of child pornography as well as criminal use of a communications device and related charges. He was a member of the Bonner & Prendie senior class prior to his arrest.
School administration is cooperating fully with law enforcement in this matter. The administration was recently made aware of the nature of the investigation and imposed an out-of-school suspension on Mr. Jones. Prior to that contact from law enforcement, the school had no indication that Mr. Jones was involved in activity of this nature. He will not be returning to school.
This information is deeply disturbing to all of us. Our immediate concern is for those who were or may have been victimized. Our understanding is that Delaware County Detectives have been in contact with individuals they have reason to believe could be a victim in this matter.
If anyone has information that needs to be shared with law enforcement regarding this matter or wishes to make a report, they are urged to contact Detective Sergeant Kenneth Bellis of the Delaware County Criminal Investigation Division at (610) 891-4717.
The safety and protection of the young people entrusted to our care are our primary concerns. We are grateful to law enforcement for alerting us to this situation and will continue to cooperate with them in the course of their work. Counselors will be made available during school hours over the coming days for any students who might need to meet with them. If additional supports are needed, we will work to implement them in the coming days at school.
The Archdiocesan commitment to the prevention of child abuse is an ongoing one. We regularly provide our students with educational resources and programming designed to illustrate appropriate and safe use of technology. We will continue to do all that we can to assist our young people in utilizing technology in a manner that will minimize their exposure to dangerous situations.
All of the information above, along with online resources regarding safe environment resources, was shared with Bonner & Prendie school families this afternoon as well as the full school community.
Read Also:Sierra Leone Rejects $7.8 Million Bid For Diamond
Employment seeking girl steals N108k from her prospective employer
Opportunity comes but once, this young girl believes as she stole N108k from her prospective employer. A female jobseeker has been captured for taking One Hundred and Eight Thousand Naira amid her prospective employee meeting in Delta State.
It was accumulated that the businessperson at the organization had ventured out to get something, leaving the suspect in the workplace. The young lady professedly utilized the chance to take N108k and fled.
Good fortune, be that as it may, ran out on her, days after the fact, while going through the road where the workplace is found. She was expeditiously caught and dragged to her home where the rest of the cash was recovered.
Lagos tenant uses Landlord’s apartment to dupe house appliance vendors of N50 million
Hey peepz, I have a gist tho I don’t know if it’s true or not..But I will say it Sha. I was just walking on the street 2receive fresh air when I saw a couple. d man was telling his wife about an incident. I kukuma slowed down an walked behind them to hear d full gist.
It was more like a scam story. A certain man walked up to a Landlord in our area and requested to rent his apartment for 2 months, with the excuse that he was traveling to Canada and just came to Lagos for the Visa Processing.. They agreed on 150K.
The man paid and took ownership of the apartment.He then went out to Vendors in town and negotiated to buy expensive items on lease. With installment payment plans.. He was said to have collected home appliance worth N50,000,000 from various vendors.
He then took them all to the apartment one by one to build trust. At least once they know he lives there, they can easily come around and pack their stuffs if he defaults, these people didn’t know what would hit them was going to be deadlier than Tsunami.
As agreed with the Landlord, the man packed out even earlier than expected… Left with all the items, of which he had not finished the payment..and the Landlord was so happy to have struck a better deal He immediately rented out the apartment to another family.
One by one, the creditors began to come in and same story was relieved to them.. Some fainted, some threatened hell fire …. To cut the long story short, Baba Ijebu was arrested alongside the new tenant.. You know Naija now… #POLICE no wan hear wuen
They were only saved after a Landlord intervened. He is a legal practitioner and took up the case. But sincerely speaking. I wonder how some people feel at rest knowing fully well their victims would suffer. I guess it all centers on lack of conscience. This is bad #dojon
It was more like a scam story. 🙆 A certain man walked up to a Landlord in our area and requested to rent his apartment for 2 months, with the excuse that he was traveling to Canada 🍁 and just came to Lagos for the Visa Processing.. They agreed on 150K.
— Diary of a Jobless Nigerian Youth (@wenogetjob) May 15, 2018
How a middle-aged man died after withdrawing N100,200 from the bank will shock you
What could have taken the life of a middle-aged man, identified only as Muyibi, who collapsed and died in a commercial cab in the Ojota area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro reports that Muyibi boarded the cab after withdrawing money from a United Bank for Africa branch in the Ogudu area. Then the driver had turned to to take his fee from Muyibi when he realized the man had become motionless. After reaching the terminus, a resident told Punch’s correspondent that the driver alighted from the cab to slightly push Muyibi, who was cold.
The resident, who did not want to be identified, said,
“The driver had picked some other passengers along the way, and they had all paid and dropped off at their various bus stops.
“When the victim did not respond when they got to the terminus, the driver parked the cab to rouse him, but he was cold.
The driver raised the alarm, which drew the attention of commuters and passersby to the scene. People checked him and discovered that the man was dead.”
Policemen from the Ogudu division were said to have been alerted to the incident. The driver’s vehicle was impounded just like that, while the man’s body was deposited in a morgue.
A source person at the terminus who spoke with Punch newspaper confirmed the incident, saying:
“It happened around 3pm on Friday. The man went to withdraw some money in UBA. The Ogudu Divisional Police Officer was compassionate; she pitied the cab driver, who had become jittery.
Although the man was not detained, his cab was impounded at the station pending when the deceased’s family would show up,” he added.
Lagos state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, said the police recovered N100,200 from the victim’s bag.
“The man was on his way to Ojota when he collapsed and died. We recovered the sum of N100,200 from his bag.
He also had a phone, which had a new SIM card. There is no contact on the phone and nobody has called him. We have a lead as to where he could be living.
His body has been deposited in a morgue for autopsy.”
Entertainment5 days ago
You won’t believe this hilarious Celebrity fashion challenge
Uncategorized2 years ago
End of the World! – See what a young girl posted to celebrate her boyfriends birthday
Entertainment4 days ago
Reactions to DJ Cuppy’s latest music, Charged Up!!!
News2 days ago
Graduated from Ransome Kuti 30 years ago and their reunion is epic
Politics1 day ago
Buhari’s WAEC Cert – US Army War College said they don’t have it
Social Media4 days ago
#Bet9jaNYSCcup – All the photos from Bet9ja NYSC CUP
Politics3 days ago
Reno Omokri dares El-rufai to deny sending him an email calling Southern women ‘whores’
News23 hours ago
Nigerian Army saves Boko Haram Captives, Burns Boko Haram food too